The Brearley School, an independent K-XII day school for girls in New York City known for its academic excellence, cross-divisional teaching and diversity, seeks an experienced, compassionate and innovative leader to become its Head of Middle School Student Life. (Position to begin in the 2017- 2018 school year.)
The Head of Middle School Student Life, a newly formed position, maintains the School’s commitment to providing a healthy and inclusive environment for its Middle School students that supports their intellectual and personal development. This position is appointed by and reports to the Head of School.
● Articulating a clear vision for a Middle School culture that nurtures the intellectual, social and emotional development of students in Classes V-VIII.
● Working collaboratively with faculty, administrators and staff to foster the mission of the school and to implement Opening Doors, A Strategic Vision for Brearley. (Click here to view Opening Doors.)
● Managing the daily operations of the Division, including leadership of Room Teachers and Advisors and communication with parents.
● Acting as a highly visible role model who personifies a school culture that values respect for self and others, intellectual adventurousness, the passionate exchange of ideas, resiliency and generosity.
● Knowing students in the Division so as to appreciate and support the unique and lively contributions of each individual.
● Supporting complementary programs in equity and inclusion, counseling and wellness, service learning and extracurricular activities.
● Partnering with a dynamic and diverse team of administrators to lead the institution.
The strong candidate will find great joy in teaching middle school students and have a deep interest in and familiarity with literature supporting girls’ education, wellness, and equity and inclusion. S/he will also have demonstrated success in leading programs for this age group, collaborating with colleagues and working closely with parents. S/he will be open-minded, inspiring, patient and skilled at listening, speaking, writing and supervising colleagues. Humor, creativity, energy, cultural competence, organization and the ability to bring out the best in others are essential. A BA is required.
A competitive compensation package, commensurate with level of experience.
Candidates should send a resume, letter of interest and at least three current references to Maria Duckett, Special Assistant to the Head of School, at email@example.com